graphemes

magnus hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 07:35:54 UTC 2009

Dear Michael

I use w, k and s for writing modern nawatl that doesn't have any established
orthography - and I do use macrons to mark vowel length when it is practical
(i.e. not in quick e-mails) - and I have been ridiculed for it before on
this list.

I do it to avoid digraphs and confusing double meanings of a single letter
(h for writing saltillo and for w, u for writing w, kw, and k, q for writing
kw and k, c for writing k and s, z for writing s and ts, ) - and to help
(english speaking) lay persons achieve a better pronunciation and for
example say ['na.watl] in stead of [na.hu.'at.el]. And then I do it because
some native speakers (like Miguel Barrios Espinosa for example) prefer it
because they find that it is easier to learn in writing, and that it gives
more of a separate identity to their language.

Barrios writes in the introduction to the first issue of Mexihkatl
itonalama: "Inin totlahtol okse: tleka tikihkwiloskeh kemen kaxtillan?"

And what's wrong with Goethe anyway?

Magnus Pharao Hansen