Interpreting the Mappe Quinatzin, leaf 2 and leaf 3

Lee, Jongsoo joslee at unt.edu
Wed Apr 22 20:43:18 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am pleased to see Offner demonstrated a clear difference between our respective views on Nezahualcoyotl and his Texcoco.  At the same time, I am very much disappointed by the fact that he continues to misunderstand or ignore the main point of my argument. Please see the following quote from Offner's book:

"I selected the Texcocan empire for investigation because its political structure is significantly different from that of Tenochtitlan and because its legal systems are the best reported of all of the Aztec legal systems" (xiii).

One of the main arguments of my article was to show that there was no significant difference between the systems of Texcoco and Mexico-Tenochtitlan. Offner's points on legal anthropology are well taken, but I am not trying to reconstruct the legal systems. And my argument makes no value judgment about such systems. I am more interested in the representation of these systems and the value judgments made by colonial writers. I should say that I appreciate the substantive critique that Offner has provided in his last two posts, and I will certain look closely at them. It may be that I need to reassess some of the details of my interpretation of the pictographic sources that I analyze. I'm sure I will learn from his critique as I have learned from his published work. However, I still see nothing that refutes my central argument. Aside from the issue of whether I have committed errors in some of the details of my interpretation of the pictographic sources, one of the main issues here has to do with our views of colonial texts such as those of Ixtlilxochitl, Duran, and Motolinia. Although I recognize that these and other writers had extensive knowledge of indigenous culture and history, this does not mean that they were completely objective in their writings. From what he says, Offner essentially wants to defer to them. It turns out that this uncritical reliance upon colonial sources was already pointed out by Pedro Carrasco's review of Offner's book (American Ethnologist, Vol. 12, No. 4, 1985: pp. 803-805). For more information on the methodological problems of Offner's approach to the Texcocan legal system, see Elizabeth Brumfiel's review of Offner's Book (Ethnohistory, Vol. 32, No. 2, 1985: pp. 187-188).

My argument does not deny that colonial Spanish and Texcocan writers had more knowledge about indigenous culture and history than we do today. Rather, I argue that their works willfully transform and misinterpret certain aspects of that culture and history to serve their ideological ends derived from the colonial context in which they were writing. It seems clear that this approach offends Offner as he names it "arrogant revisionism," because it runs contrary to his own views. While it is true that my argument maintains that Offner and others have not been sufficiently critical of colonial sources, I have attempted to be as respectful as possible in this critique.  My work is certainly revisionist, and I suppose that in a way any revisionist work may seem to have an inherent arrogance. But I hope that such arrogance is limited to the inherent nature of the revisionist project. Although it seems that Offner has taken my respectful critique personally, I do not take offense at the substance of his critique of my work. As I said, I'm sure I will learn from it. In a way I am flattered that Offner attributes such influence to my work that he fears it will change everyone's mind about Nezahualcoyotl. Although I am sure that I may have made some errors of interpretation (who hasn't?), I think my general argument is correct, so I hope it does change everyone's mind. But that is not the way scholarship works. Offner himself will be championing his views as will others with the same perspective. I'm sure that many people will agree with him. And as is evident from the reviews I cited above, others may agree more with me, although perhaps not in all the details. This is the way things work. As I said before, I hope people interested in the topic will actually read all the relevant research, look at the original sources, draw their own conclusions, and perhaps make their own contributions. And afterward we can all go out for that virtual beer that Michel mentioned.

Best,

Jongsoo