graphemes

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Apr 22 21:06:22 UTC 2009

Just wanted to add that none of my students here at I.U. had any
trouble with the hu them...English majors, business majors...you name it.

Wild and whacky English orthography has been quite standardized,
probably since Samuel Johnston's dictionary came out in the 1750s,
right? There was an attempt, wasn't there?, in the 1960s or 70s to
simplify the orthography so that kids could learn to read more easily,
and that was shot down quite readily, owing to the fear, as John has
mentioned in reference to Nahuatl, that the body of English literature
would be inaccessible to children versed in the new orthography.
Perhaps the folks in Mexico teaching k and c and the like aren't
concerned whether native speakers' have access to "classic" Nahuatl.
That may not be an issue either in literacy or language revitalization.

Personally speaking, I find it takes me longer--and two steps--to read
this "modernized" Nahuatl orthography. This is because I "sight-read"
so much of it with ease. This is not a great example, but a phrase such
as "Iuhqui in mah miequintin totomeh ic tlahtoa" can go right in. With
something as moderately modified as "Iwki in mah miekintin totomeh ik
tlahtoa," I have to sound it out as I read it, although I first start
out by saying "What the heck is 'iwki'? A misplaced kiwi fruit?"

I guess it's a matter of getting acclimatized.

Michael