Understanding of a folk etymology

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Fri Apr 24 19:14:05 UTC 2009

Fritz tells me that several of the messages subsequent to my email last
night have been garbled, including Jonathan's first message, my reply
and then his reply. For some reason, most of these have come through
just fine for me. I suspect that maybe my message from early this
morning may have caused all the problems. I wrote that message from an
old laptop that I don't use very much and from a webmail program that I
believe has caused similar problems with messages to this list in the
past. I think that program has a default character set that must cause
problems with the list server. So my apologies. I'm writing this message
from scratch from my regular computer without hitting 'reply' to any of
the other messages in this thread. Hopefully that will take care of the
problem. Anyway, Jonathan's original message said something about the
relationship between the meaning of "nen" ("in vain") and the five-days
of the nemontemi period, and I responded as follows:
***
Hi Jonathan,
I think the "in vain" part of the meaning has to do with the special
status of these days, which I understand were considered kind of
dangerous or unlucky. But the nemontemi days would have to have had day
signs as well as numbers. It is just that these five days with their day
signs did not belong to one of the regular months. If they didn't have
signs, then the name of the year, based either on the sign of the last
or the first day of the year, would always be the same. Those five days
are the reason that the names of the years change and were limited to
four. If you name your year after the sign and the number of the first
day of the year, for example, you run through the cycle of twenty signs
eighteen times over the course of the year, then you have the five days
of the nemontemi. So the first day of the nemontemi is the beginning of
another cycle of the twenty day signs. This means that the first day of
the nemontemi will have the same day sign as the first day of that year,
which means that the first day of the next solar year will be the sixth
sign in the sequence (the day after the five day-signs of the
nemontemi). And the first day of the following year will be the 11th
sign in the sequence, then the sixteenth, and then the first again. In
other words, the names of the year will keep cycling through this
four-sign sequence. The continuing cycle of thirteen numbers that
matches up to these signs works out so that if the number corresponding
to the first day of the first year is 1, then the number of the first
day of the next year will be 2, and so on. And the combination of the
cycle of four years signs with the thirteen numbers is what produces the
52 year Mesoamerican "century" (4 x 13 = 52). If the name of the year is
based on the last day of the year, it works the same way, because any
given calendrical day of any given year will be offset by five signs and
one number from the corresponding day of the previous and the subsequent
years.
Galen
***
Then Jonathan pointed out that all of the nemontemi days of all of the
years of the 52 year cycle (5 x 52) is equal to 260 days, which is
equivalent to the 260 day cycle of 20 day signs and 13 numbers. The
upshot of all this is that the end of all of the interrelated cycles of
the calender converge at precisely the end of the 52 year "century." So
each 52 year period would start with the same day-sign and number. And
the cycle would start again.

So assuming this message goes through, that should catch you up if you
got the garbled messages.

Galen