Yaocihuatl

Dodds Pennock, Dr C.E. ced22 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Aug 7 11:02:24 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am currently writing an article on the 'Women of Discord' in Aztec history and would be grateful for your help in interpreting the name of the goddess 'Yaocihuatl'. It is most often translated as 'War/Warrior Woman', but Susan Gillespie, in 'The Aztec Kings' translates the term as 'War Woman' on p.59 and as 'Woman of Discord' on p.213. The former translation seems the most obvious, although there are obviously linguistic roots with the term 'tlatolyaotl' (translated as 'discord' in the Florentine Codex). I'd be very grateful for any thoughts colleagues can offer on the translation or interpretation of this name.

Many thanks,
Caroline
-------
Dr Caroline Dodds Pennock