Some grammar doubts

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 20 16:27:32 UTC 2009

It's hard to explain why the orthographic -h would be pronounced, since
it's purely functionally orthographic in nature. My *guess* is that the
pronunciation is influenced by the spelling, as when people pronounce
English "often" [AftEn], with a /t/; it's not part of the original
pronunciation.

Michael