On te:cuhtli and other alleged sins

ANTHONY APPLEYARD a.appleyard at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 21 08:53:51 UTC 2009

 --- On Thu, 20/8/09, Susana Moraleda <susana at losrancheros.org> wrote:
 >   1 - I found NOCXI and NOCXIUH for "my foot". Which one is correct?
 >   2 - Should the H be pronounced as in English? Many people in Mexico do not
 >   pronounce it, while some others do.

Nahuatl final -uh after a vowel is pronounced like English "w" in "wet".

>  3 - ALTEPETL comes from water and hill. I can understand the "hill" part and
>  the A for "water", but why do we have an extra L?

"a_ltepe_tl" (_ = long vowel) started as two separate nouns" a_tl tepe_tl" = "it is water [and] it is a hill" (becuse a village needs water to drink and to irrigate with, and a hill to defend itself from enemies on), and the consonant sequence -tlt- changed by sandhi effect to -lt- .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhi

Citlalyani.