Some grammar doubts

Susana Moraleda susana at losrancheros.org
Thu Aug 20 11:12:41 UTC 2009

Sorry if I'm being too primitive and elementary (I'm not an expert in
Nahuatl, but I love it), but in revising my Nahuatl grammar I came across
the following doubts which I tried to clear reading several sources, but
with no success.

1 - I found NOCXI and NOCXIUH for "my foot". Which one is correct?

2 - Should the H be pronounced as in English? Many people in Mexico do not
pronounce it, while some others do.

3 - ALTEPETL comes from water and hill. I can understand the "hill" part and
the A for "water", but why do we have an extra L?

4 - CALEH is one who has a house. Does this have anything to do with Spanish
"calle"?

5 - I believe CHANEHQUEH is people who have homes. Why and how did this word
come to mean those imaginary little men residing in the forests?

I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you.
Susana Moraleda