On a:l- as in a:ltepe:tl

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Aug 21 16:41:40 UTC 2009

The same thought crossed my mind, Gordon, intertwined with the memory of
Coatlichan, (Coatl Ichan), "the snake his house" ("house of the snake"),
often written as one word but evidently two, because of the first element
conserving its absolutive prefix.

As for altepetl, together with the two examples you provide of /tl/ + /t/ >
/lt/, it looks like we can add this to our list of regular (albeit scarce)
morphophonological changes. Andrews lists most of these changes, but I think
he missed this one. I would be most grateful if you could provide documental
references for Xihuiltemoc and Ihuiltemoc, to nail this down. One word
doesn't make a rule, but with three I think it's worth going for. I'd like
to add this to the section on morphophonology in the second edition of my
book Lectura del Náhuatl. I promise to cite your post. (The first edition
has a few citations of Nahuat-l posts too). Listeros: what do you think?

Saludos,

David