Nouns and verbs

Heike Bödeker heike.boedeker at netcologne.de
Tue Dec 1 17:00:50 UTC 2009

Dear Michael,

> Blair Rudes, the late Iroquoianist, once told me that there was a
> Iroquoian language (Tuscarora, I believe, but I can't remember)
> that had only around 7 bona fide nouns; everything else that we
> would consider nouns were actually verbs.

Oh really? That would be highly interesting!!

As far as I can remember the idea of a noun-verb indistinction in
Northern Iroquoian first was put forth by Hans-Jürgen Sasse more than
20 years ago (Der irokesische Sprachtyp. *Zeitschrift für
Sprachwissenschaft* 7/2, 1988: 173-213), mainly using data from
Cayuga -- to at least then not be very well received by
Iroquoianists, basically for similar reasons already mentioned for
Nahuatl. Although things in Iroquoian may be a little bit more
complicated, e.g. as there are quite a few ideophones (though also
surely more than just 7), e.g. Cayuga /taku:s/ "cat" and /kwiskwis/
"pig", some of which also may take some inflectional morphology, e.g.
Oneida /o-hkwalí/ "bear" bearing a feminine-zoic pronominal index.

Regarding Tuscarora, both Rudes and Mithun AFAIK used to be very
clear about recognizing a noun-verb distinction. Please keep me
posted if you found out someone of them having changed their mind.

As for omnipredicativity, the mere fact that nouns at times may
function predicatively does in no way imply that they always
necessarily did so, see cases like Russian <èto - most> "this is a
bridge", where predicativity is established by mere juxtaposition.
Not even involving verbal morphology! (Of which Russian would have
quite a bit, and also possibilities of denominal verb formation. So
*if* it hade been required it would have been available. But it
wasn't.)

As for the Baraga quote, I assume this probably refers to "sentence
words", as Ojibwa, like any other Algic lg., as Sasse would have put
it then, does have a noun-verb distinction on all levels relevant
(lexical, morphological, syntactic).

All the best,

Heike