hoary spoonbill

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Dec 7 16:23:34 UTC 2009

Thanks, Fritz.

Sebastian Covarrubias' entry under "flamenco", in his dictionary of 1611, is
interesting.

Cobarruvias Orozco, Sebastián, “Tesoro de la lengua castellana o española”,
facsímil de la ed. de 1611, en Fondo Antiguo, Biblioteca, Universidad de
Sevilla
(http://fondosdigitales.us.es/fondos/libros/765/16/tesoro-de-la-lengua-caste
llana-o-espanola/; acceso: 7 dic. 2009).

It's good to have a good facsimile edition of the first edition on line; I
found it today for the first time. The second edition has been available in
the Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes for a few years. This is the best
work for getting closer to the meanings of Spanish words in the early
colonial texts of New Spain.