hoary spoonbill

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Tue Dec 8 13:28:43 UTC 2009

That's the double-headed eagle that the Spanish used inherited from the
Hapsburg coat of arms, which is probably how it ended up in Mexico.
What is interesting in that the two birds have quite different plumage.
The one on the right has common eagle coloring and beak, but the one on
the left is more of a tropical bird, more like a macaw or parrot.

Michel Oudijk wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I don't know much about birds but according to the people from
> Quauhquechollan the Quechollin looks like they painted it in their
> lienzo (see the attached photo or Florine Asselbergs' book about the
> lienzo). Maybe one of you bird watchers can identified it this way.
> Doesn't look like a flamenco to me though.
>
> Abrazo,
>
> Michel

John F. Schwaller
President