hoary spoonbill

Michel Oudijk oudyk at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:18:45 UTC 2009

Dear David and Fritz,

Maybe I should have said this in the previous message, but yes the bird on the left is the quecholli. The image of the double headed eagle is used here to express the identification of Cuauhquechollan with the Spanish Crown and, at the same, represent their toponym Cuauh(tli)-quecholl(i)-an. Of all people they should know what the quecholli looked like.

Still, it's a beautiful example of the creation of a colonial indigenous world. Also note the sword and the macana, and of course the crown. In other places of the lienzo conquest is represented as a European sword (instead of an arrow) perforating a toponymic glyph, and the Cuauhquecholteca are depicted with a white skin contrary to their indigenous oponents. I highly recommend reading Florine Asselbergs' study of this lienzo.

Un fuerte abrazo,

Michel