first two for Joe

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Wed Dec 2 16:13:33 UTC 2009

John,

   Thanks to you and your friends at IDIEZ for helping brainstorm on
these morphology problems.  The time and energy are appreciated.
(Actually, that sounds like a Nahuatl impersonal ... and the
appreciation is not impersonal.)

   Questions and comments:

  1. cuetla:ni comes through as cuetl?ni and there are several other
"?"s in places that look like ":" was intended.  Could there be a worm
in your Apple?

  2. Your suggestion about "cue:itl" is very helpful!  I had been hung
up on considering possibilities like "cuechtli", thinking that
"cuecuezo" was slightly disguised by a sibilant/affricate cluster
simplification.  This likely use of reduplicated "cue:itl" is
consistent with other occurrences in Molina and the Florentine.

  3. Your English equivalents like "what a worm does when you touch
it", "how a far off object looks when viewed through heat waves", etc.,
sound like sitting in on one of Molina's work sessions and what ended
up on his folios.

More later,

Joe