hoary spoonbill

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Dec 9 18:08:50 UTC 2009

Estimado Michel:

Yeah, the semasiographic expression of the toponym through the avian
representations, and the visual calquing of the Hapsburg dynasty
double-headed eagle, are fairly evident. My “if” was just an expression of
my habit of looking for alternative hypotheses for just about everything
(especially when consensus is involved), but we can be pretty sure the
painter was thinking “quecholli” (or the semantic equivalent in another
language) given the context of the image. The thrust of my comment was to
try to determine the possible identification of this representation with the
various species, quite diverse really (as Joe’s recent contribution
illustrates so well), that fall under the obscure (to me) native taxonomic
category of “quecholli”. Maybe this category involves the relative value of
these species’ feathers in conquest-period Mesoamerican culture.

An alternative hypothesis, which I think is less likely, but which shouldn’t
be discarded unless there is a good reason to do so, would be that one or
both of the birds are glottographic signs involving homophonous word plays,
since quecholli can mean one of several species of birds, “projectile”,
and/or a twenty-day ritual period, and in this tradition of pictorial
writing we sometimes see eagles (cua:uhtli) used to convey the idea of
forests/trees/sticks (cuahuitl), which have cuasihomophonous stems [kwa:w]
and [kwaw], and vice versa. Taking these alternative meanings into acount,
we can come up with a list of several hypothetical translations for the
toponym Cuauhquechollan. In this case náhuatl would be the only language
possible, since these meanings are only expressed in a homophonous or
cuasi-homophonous manner in this language. Even when early colonial native
authors provide etymologies that support one translation or another of a
toponym, we often can’t rule out the possibility of folk etymologies. A more
secure method involves collecting the equivalents of the toponyms in
neighboring languages, since the meaning usually (but not always) passed
from one language to another as a semantic loan, or calque. It’s usually a
good idea to run all of the possibilities through one’s head and pour them
through our analytical filters before arriving at a conclusion. Sometimes
the answer lies beneath the surface.

By the way, there’s a ridiculous error in the rough draft of a footnote on
the probable meaning of the twenty-day ritual period quecholli that I
included in my last post, in a final attempt to get some feedback for
improving it. I wrote “cucharada” (spoonful) instead of “cuchareta”
(spoonbill) twice! This is the sort of thing than can provide decades of
embarrassment if it makes it into print. What makes me a bit uneasy is that
our posts to this list are instantly archived and come up in Google
searches! Fortunately we can post corrections as easily as we can post
mistakes.

Saludos y un abrazo,

David