'Aztec' vs. 'Mexica' vs. 'Nahua'

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 25 00:40:05 UTC 2009

Quoting Michel Oudijk <oudyk at hotmail.com>:

> In other words "if you don't speak the language, get out of the
> bussiness". That colleagues openly admit that they don't read or
> speak Spanish is not only revealing, but shocking.

Hui!

Otzin: I don't mind being honest, sir.

That's o.k. with me. I believe it's an admirable trait, even in
academia. The best academics I know are also the most honest academics.

As for my not being fluent in Spanish but still involved in Nahuatl,
consider a friend and colleague of mine who is the expert world's
authority on a major Algonquian recorded historically almost
exclusively in French but who doesn't know French. He knows Russian and
German. His lack of French has never stood in the way. Should he get
out of the business?

My intuition says no.

Ca no zotzin.

Michael McCafferty