bees, beeswax & gold

Molly Bassett mbassett at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 27 01:25:03 UTC 2009

Hi, all.

I'm following a minor dissertation detail that arises in my discussion
of teocuitlatl (gold) and gold-casting.

The gold-casting method described in the General History's Book 9: The
Merchants involves beeswax (xicohcuitlatl), and although two genera of
stingless bees are indigenous to Mesoamerica (Melipona and Trigona),
the xicomeh (bees) described in Earthly Things sting:  “It is round,
small and round, yellow-legged, winged.  It is a flyer, a buzzer, a
sucker, a maker of hives, an earth excavator, a honey producer, a
stinger (teminani)” (Book 11:93-94).

European bees were introduced into New Spain as early as 1520-1530 -
long before the General History was compiled.  While beeswax would
have been available to precontact artisans, the General History’s
description may conflate pre- and postcontact gold-casting, as it does
xicomeh (bees). [I'm relying on Donald D. Brand, "The Honey Bee in New
Spain and Mexico," Journal of Cultural Geography 9, no. 1 (1988):
71-82 for information about bees.]

Does anyone know of other descriptions of gold-casting that might
confirm or dispute the use of beeswax?

Thanks!
Molly

Molly Bassett