Nahuatl Digest, Vol 117, Issue 11

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Fri Feb 27 16:59:17 UTC 2009

Magnus,
	That makes a lot of sense. Aside from this possibility, the only uses
of the verb ca/ye in Huastecan Nahuatl is with oncah, "there is/are",
the -ti- compound -ticah/ticateh (present progressive tense), and
perhaps cencah, "the same, equal".
	Other words are used in place of the ca/ye:
1. iitztoc, "estar" for humans and animals.
2. eltoc, "está" plants and things.
3. eli, "ser" is used in the same way as ca/ye to join a subject and a
noun/adj in any tense except the present:
	nitlamachtihquetl, "I'm a teacher"
	nieliz nitlamachtihquetl, "I will be a teacher"
	nielqui nitlamachtihquet, "I was a teacher", etc., etc.,
John