a question about "yatoc", not about Aztec

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 27 15:16:57 UTC 2009

Muy curioso, John.

It looks, of course, like you have *ni-cuatoch-yatoc.

It's important, perhaps, to recall that the vowel of the verb /ya:/
does shorten in compounds. So, your -ya- could be 'go', and that you
have, naturally, a preterit-as-present verb here. In this connection,
it could be that there is some analogical process going on with the
verb 'lie down', onoc.

Does this verb come in other tenses, say, a pluperfect-as-past? That
is, do you see *(o)nicuatochyatoca? 'I was squatting'?

-cuatoch- in humorous.

Michael