mexicah tiahui?

Kelly McDonough mcdo0030 at umn.edu
Wed Jul 15 12:01:59 UTC 2009

Piyalli tocompalmeh, tocompalmeh. Nicpiya ce tlahtlaniliztli. I have been
seeing Danza Azteca groups here (and in other parts) using the phrase
"Mexicah tiahui." I confess my ignorance of all things Danza Azteca, and
that when I see this phrase all I can think is "you are an aunt" (obviously
not what they are intending) or tiahuih "we are content / have what is
necessary" or maybe ahhuic "here and there, back and forth" (Karttunen). I
am told that it means "Mexica people onward" but am wondering about how that
all shakes out.

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.

Kelly

Kelly McDonough

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

Department of Spanish & Portuguese Studies

612/624-5529

mcdo0030 at umn.edu