teotihuacan etymology

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Fri Jul 24 23:23:27 UTC 2009

Magnus,
	The reason why the -ca- of -can is split off is that with few
exceptions (caxcan, for example), , -can is only sufixed to agentive
nouns in the formation of place names. You propose that the root of
teotihuacan is -teotihua- and that the -hua- is a passive/impersonal
suffix (in this case, impersonal, because teoti is intransitive). Can
you give any other examples of place names formed on impersonal verbs?
John