morphology and sacred landscape

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Sat Jul 25 14:59:30 UTC 2009

Listeros,
	I would like to explain how I think Nahua place names work. There
have been many poorly written compilations of Nahua place names. Poor,
for two reasons. First, because their authors generally do not have a
good understanding of Nahua morphology. And second, because while they
provide translations of the noun (simple or agentive) or verb (Magnus,
you are absolutely right. What I meant to say is that passive/
impersonal verbs are not linked to -can) to which the relational
ending is suffixed, they do not explain WHY these nouns and verbs were
chosen in the first place. I believe that Nahua place names allude
directly to some aspect of Mesoamerican sacred landscape, in other
words, to some aspect of the migration process from Aztlan to
Chicomoztoc to Colhuahcan. This may include physical aspects of the
landscape, animals, plants, actions and deities. A well written work
on Nahua place names will explain the morphology of each name, as well
as how it ties into the universe of sacred landscape. This is
something I plan to do in the future with María Elena Bernal García
and Angel García Zambrano from the Universidad Autónoma del Estado de
Morelos.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 43
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico