Etymology of "Mexico"

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Jul 26 00:00:05 UTC 2009

The assimilation of the affricate written /tz/ to the fricative written
/x/ in the presumed etymology of /me:xihko/ as /me:tzli/ + /xi:ctli/ is
a given. That's just nuts-and-bolts Nahuatl phonetics.

However, one cannot simply say that the long /i:/ of /xi:ctli/ goes to
short /i/ in /me:xihco/. That's a leap to the Moon itself. What is the
basis for this vowel shortening? This is not expected.

Moreover, /xi:ctli/ doesn't have a glottal stop, written /h/, as we see
in /me:xihco/. Where did the glottal stop come from?

The "Moon's Navel Place" is an enticing etymology, but more insights
are needed to explain the messy phonology.

Michael