Etymology of "Mexico"

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Jul 26 01:13:24 UTC 2009

Well, Michael, all we have to do is get all our morphophonological nuts and
bolts together, put them out in the moonlight, and the phonology doesn't
look so messy. The glottal stop comes from the regressive dissimilation that
is described in my post: two /k/ segments come together and the first one
becomes /?/ (that's a glottal stop, not a question mark). That's what I
meant by "(c-qu + c-qu > hc-hqu)." It looks cleaner in IPA: (/k/ + /k/ >
/?k/). The first /k/ is the last segment of the root morpheme of the noun
xi:c(tli), and the second /k/ is the first segment of the locative suffix
-co. So far so good? The next step is to shorten the /i:/, since a long
vowel before a glottal stop in Nahuatl shortens. That's what I meant by "(i:
> i)". The latter reduction in vowel length is not only expected but
required. (On both regressive dissimilation and vowel-length reduction
before a glottal stop, see Andrews, 2003: 25, 29, 35.)

Thus, Me:xxihco ((me:tztli - tli) + (xi:ctli - tli) (i: > i) (tz + x > xx) +
co (c-qu + c-qu > hc-hqu)). This may look messy, but it's really not, it's
just a bit complicated, due to the chain reaction of (c-qu + c-qu > hc-hqu)
making (i: > i) necessary.

Can you see it now? I'm using a shorthand loosely based on algebraic signs,
hoping they'll be comprehensible to most readers. The sign > is like a
little arrow, indicating the result of the morphophonemic processes that
distort the boundaries of the morphemes (it doesn't mean "greater than"
here).

Since the regressive assimilation is optional, the following alternative is
also possible (as I pointed out in one of the footnotes in my post, although
I see now I forgot to mark the vowel length in the /i:/ segment):

Me:xxi:cco ((me:tztli - tli) + (xi:ctli - tli) (tz + x > xx) + co). This
form looks a lot cleaner, since there is only one segment change (tz + x >
xx) instead of three.

Thanks for making me look hard at this, Mike. You helped me catch the error
in vowel length in the latter example. I've made the correction in the
manuscript for the forthcoming (someday, I hope) second edition of my book.
By the way, if anybody out there has a copy of the first edition without the
"Fe de erratas," please write to me and I'll send it to you by e-mail.
Between the author, the editor and the designer we managed to let a lot of
little bugs slip through the filters.

Peace,

David