Etymology of "Mexico"

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jul 27 03:06:44 UTC 2009

Estimado Michael:

We've already cleared that one up. In one of the hypothetical etymologies
we've been discussing (Me:xxihco or Me:xihco), /kk/ becomes /hk/, and the
/h/ requires the /i:/ to shorten, the latter change having been accepted by
consensus (in early colonial central Mexican Nahuatl at least; John raises
doubts for modern Huastecan Nahuatl). So we're back to the question of /kk/
> /hk/ being a valid morphophonological change or not.

Saludos cordiales,

David