Etymology of "Mexico"

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Sun Jul 26 21:49:29 UTC 2009

Listeros,
1. /kk/ > /hk/ is an absolute rule for Huastecan Nahuatl. In fact, in
the subject-specific object sets "nic-" and "tic-" followed by a
consonant, the /k/ is practically inaudible.  Further, -uh is
pronounced /h/, and /kw-k > hk/. However, none of these sound changes
result in the shortening of a preceeding long vowel. In other words,
it is not the sound of the glottal stop that shortens the preceeding
long vowel, it is the glottal stop itself. For this reason, though I'm
sure that the "c" in "xi:ctli" is pronounced /h/ before /k/, I doubt
that this would shorten the "i:".
	Is there any evidence in Classical Nahuatl (besides the possible
example of "mexihco") of a "c" actually being written as an "h" or
converting into the diacritic for a glottal stop, before another /k/?
John