Etymology of "Mexico"

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Jul 27 11:56:24 UTC 2009

David, Gordon, John, Magnus, and anyone else still aboard this bronco.

Here's how i see the problem, at least with four minutes to get to class:

1) Andrews' linguistic analysis, of an earlier idea, is simply circular
and lacks any evidence.

2) John has given us an example of /kk/ going to /?k/. That's *one*
little piece of evidence from Huastecan.

3) But John's shift doesn't give us a short vowel. And that's an
important linguistic observation. Perhaps I'm inside Central Algonquian
too much, but my sense of Nahuatl, as in C.A., is that vowel length is
to be revered. :-)

4) Folk-etymologizing of another term beginning with */m:ex-/ is quite
possible in giving us the "In the navel of the Moon" toponym.

5) I don't see any bedrock support in anything else that's been
offered, the historical stuff, although I've enjoyed looking at it.
Maybe #5's just my problem.

Best,

Michael