Dissimilation: kk > hk

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jul 31 00:24:18 UTC 2009

Estimados listeros:

I had a little time yesterday to put the kk > hk regressive dissimilation
rule (Andrews, 2003: 35) to the test, since this remained as an unresolved
loose end in a recent thread on this list. The first thing I did was to
check the first edition of Andrews’ Introduction... (1975) to see if he gave
any additional support, beyond the word Me:xihco, and I found that he did,
although it’s pretty vague. On page 453 he says “The shift of /kk/ to /hk/
occurs dialectally.” That pointed me in the direction of modern varieties of
Nahuatl.

John Sullivan has pointed out in a recent post (July 26, 2009) that “/kk/ >
/hk/ is an absolute rule for Huastecan Nahuatl”, based on his experience
with this variety.

In Pittman’s grammar of Tetelcingo Nahuatl (1954: 13) we find a description
of “Regressive dissimilation on the pattern C1C1 > hC1 between k- ‘it’ and a
stem-initial k or between other occasional clusters of identical consonants.
“ *ni-k(koa)ti: > ni-h(koa)ti: ‘I-it(buy)go’ D54,
“ *ti-k(cua)s-ki > ti-h(cua)s-ki ‘we-it(eat)will-pl’ D13,
“ *xi-k(mat)ta > xi-k(mah)ta ‘impa-it(know)dur’ W39.”
(Pittman's macrons have been changed to colons here.)

Guion, Amith, Doty, and Shport (n.d.) register the same change in a
phonological discussion of the effects of coda /h/ on tone conditioning in
Balsas Nahuatl. This /h/ is described as a glottal fricative (the one
represented in IPA as an ‘h’ with a little hook on top). A comparison of
words in the examples with Karttunen’s Analytical Dictionary (1992) shows
that the /h/ being discussed is found in the same position of the same words
as Karttunen’s ‘h’ (representing the saltillo /?/) in at least some cases.
In endnote 6 Guion et al. state: “While Ameyaltepec and Oapan have lost
non-word-final coda *h (historical *h), /h/ can be found in surface forms in
both Oapan and Ameyaltepec. In Oapan and Ameyaltepec geminate /kk/ and /ll/
> /hk/ and /hl/ and in Oapan /w/ > /h/ and /k/ > /h/ before all consonants.
However, it is outside the scope of the current paper to investigate the
phonetic nature of these /h/ productions, e.g., whether they are breathy or
voiceless and whether they affect the F0 of the preceding vowel.”

In a text on phonological analysis, published on the web and labeled “a
working, pre-publication draft,” with the request “Please do not quote,”
there is a chapter on dissimilation where an example of /kk/ > /xk/ (where x
has its IPA value, a velar fricative, like ‘j’ in Spanish) is given, from
North Puebla Nahuatl. This isn’t exactly the saltillo /?/, with known
allophones [?] and [h], but it’s certainly in the neighborhood.

Thus examples of Andrews’ dissimilation rule /kk/ > /hk/ may be found in
three varieties of Nahuatl, showing that it may be considered a widespread
morphophonological phenomenon. The fourth case, where /kk/ > /xk/,
represents a phonologically similar change.

Going back to early colonial central Mexican Nahuatl, John Sullivan’s
question remains unanswered: “Is there any evidence in Classical Nahuatl
(besides the possible example of 'mexihco') of a 'c' actually being written
as an "h" or converting into the diacritic for a glottal stop, before
another /k/?”

Saludos cordiales,

David Wright