On in

Gordon Whittaker gwhitta at gwdg.de
Mon Jul 13 23:13:46 UTC 2009

Dear Fran, Kay, Michael and Claudine,

Thank you all very much for your very helpful comments. And thanks,
Claudine, for your offer concerning a copy of Jane Rosenthal's MA thesis,
for which I would be eternally grateful. Let me know if there's anything
in Göttingen I could send you in return (photocopies, euros, jade, a few
quetzal feathers). We could set up a kind of kula ring, now that
Mesoamericanist Studies in Germany has been moved up on the 'endangered
species' list to 'almost extinct'.

I seem to recall that someone either gave a paper on IN or published an
article (as opposed to a thesis) specifically on the subject, and that IN
was in the title. I had tried in Andrews and elsewhere to track it down,
but without success. I remember seeing the reference in the mid '80s, and
do recall that the author was a woman, one whom I've actually met, but my
recollection was that the author in question died some time afterwards,
which is why I feel sure that someone else besides Rosenthal had published
on IN. Now, if only I could remember the name ...

Best,
Gordon

Gordon Whittaker
Professor
Linguistische Anthropologie und Altamerikanistik
Seminar fuer Romanische Philologie
Universitaet Goettingen
Humboldtallee 19
37073 Goettingen