Etymology of "Mexico"

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Jul 26 20:41:16 UTC 2009

Sorry. Just a short rejoinder. Out of curiosity I just looked up this
place name in Karttunen's dictionary and found that she also has
trouble accepting the "navel" explanation:

"The etymology of this [Me:xihco] is opaque. Because of the difference
in vowel length, it cannot be derived from ME-TL 'maguey'. The sequence
XIH also differs in vowel length from XI:C-TLI 'navel,' which has been
proposed as a component element..."

Michael