Cuitlahua vs Cuitlahuac

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Fri Jun 5 13:42:10 UTC 2009

In the use of the B-V-U is by no means clear that any specific writer
followed a consistent set of phonological rules.  Some research is
currently being done on this issue in Spanish and it is just too early
to tell.  I wonder how one can tell that in the Aubin the sound was
supposed to be -V-

Many 16th cen. texts, for example "ciudad" is routinely written "cibdad."

The point is that in the 16th cen. in Spanish these conventions were
just beginning to gel.

roberto romero wrote:

> Por otro lado hay algo que me llama la atención como usted vera en mi
> anterior post:
>
> Tres fuentes dan el sonido Va o Ba o Bac para la sílaba  final del
> nombre del poblado en tema, que en el Aubin es Cuitlava  dando a la V
> el sonido de V  y no de U ,  en Tezozomoc es Cuitlabac y en la HMPP es
> Atiltlalaba de donde derivara Atiltlalabaca. para los habitantes que
> es el termino que citan..
>
> Pareciera que  el sonido final del nombre del poblado no hubiera sido
> Tlaua sino Tlava o Tlaba o Tlabac. Por lo menos en el Aubin lámina uno
> el nombre aparece escrito como Cuitlava

John F. Schwaller
President
SUNY - Potsdam