Cuitlahuac-Cuitlahuacah

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Jun 8 02:29:51 UTC 2009

Estimados,

I'm behind looking at and responding to messages, but

when "Cuitlahuac" first came across the pixels the other day, and i
said it aloud for the first time, what i heard was 'it dried like
excrement',

from a cuitlatl shortened to cuit-, a shorteneing we see happening
elsewhere in the language;

and then tlahuaqui 'for something to dry out', where the tla- is fused
to the verb *huaqui 'dry', and would thus permit a noun suffix such as
cuit(latl).

But i can't say for sure that the past tense of tlahuaqui is *tlahuac.
Seems like it would be that, but i don't have the information at hand
to verify that.

Michael

Quoting lahunik.62 at skynet.be: