tlactlacotl

Jesse Lovegren lovegren at buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:58:09 UTC 2009

I am working with a mid-18th century legal document where glottal stop /h/
of Classical Nahuatl is written with the grapheme 'c' (whether due to a
peculiarity of the scribe or to a merger of /h/ and /k/ in the particular
dialect being written).  Vowel length is not indicated in this document.
I am struggling with how to analyze the word "inintlactlacotl".

My best guess is that it is a reduplicated form of tlaco:tl, "stick,
switch".

The context in which is appears is:
"...ihuan oze neixnamquiliztli intechmonequi inictlamiztzonquizaz
*inintlactlacotl
*quenin yeomotheneuh nicpiaz notechcopa inic..."

Any advice is appreciated.

Yours,
--
Jesse Lovegren