tlactlacotl

Jesse Lovegren lovegren at buffalo.edu
Wed Jun 17 19:40:01 UTC 2009

The document was acquired by fellow list member Brian Murphy, who obtained
it with the following description:

"Here Arangoyti announces he has been appointed to take the *residencia* of
Viceroy Joaquin de Monserrat, the Marques de Cruillas, and asks all with
grievances to make themselves known to him - to come forward and give
testimony against the viceroy. In this particular copy a Nahuatl-speaking
secretary(either Jose de Molina or Francisco Geronimo de Luna, both of whom
have signed the document) has corrected typographical errors."

It is attributed to Don Domingo de Arangoiti, the Fiscal of Exchequer at
that time.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Michael McCafferty <mmccaffe at indiana.edu>wrote:

> Well, I was hoping someone would take the bait.
>
> I believe what you have here, Jesse, is "inin tlatlacotl" meaning 'this
> boil', 'this swelling'.
>
> I'm also wondering about your scribe's use of c.
>
> In European paleography, consonant graphemes can stand for more than
> one linguistic reality. In French Algonquian manuscripts, for example,
> they can indicate either a pre-aspirated consonant or a long vowel.
>
> I wonder if your scribe in this case was actually using this "c" to
> mark vowel length, or else your dialect's term for 'boil, swelling' has
> /tla?-/, where /?/ is a glottal stop, for the long vowel /tla:-/ we
> commonly see in "tlatlacotl".
>
> BTW, what is your document dealing with, if I may ask?
>
> Best,
>
> Michael
>

> uoting Jesse Lovegren <lovegren at buffalo.edu>:
>
> > I am working with a mid-18th century legal document where glottal stop
> /h/
> > of Classical Nahuatl is written with the grapheme 'c' (whether due to a
> > peculiarity of the scribe or to a merger of /h/ and /k/ in the particular
> > dialect being written).  Vowel length is not indicated in this document.
> > I am struggling with how to analyze the word "inintlactlacotl".
> >
> > My best guess is that it is a reduplicated form of tlaco:tl, "stick,
> > switch".
> >
> > The context in which is appears is:
> > "...ihuan oze neixnamquiliztli intechmonequi inictlamiztzonquizaz
> > *inintlactlacotl
> > *quenin yeomotheneuh nicpiaz notechcopa inic..."
> >
> > Any advice is appreciated.
> >
> > Yours,
> > --
> > Jesse Lovegren