Ixnahualtongo y Xocongo

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jun 24 20:31:15 UTC 2009

Michael, regarding your statement "Also, Ix- is, as you know, a super-common
prefix in Nahuatl", I have to comment that I don't recall having seen this
prefix. I've seen the noun i:xtli without its absolutive suffix -tli as the
first morpheme in a very long list of compound nouns (see Molina), and in
postpositions (-i:xco, -i:xcua:c, -i:xpampa, -i:xpan, -i:xtlah, and
-i:xtlan) where it appears in the middle of words, with the meaning "face",
"eye" or "surface". Could this be what you are thinking of, or is i:x-
really a prefix?