ixnahualtongo - xocongo

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:01:58 UTC 2009

A couple of Small comments to the placenames ixnahualtongo and xoconco
The locative of xoco-tl would be xoco-c not xococo since the root ends in a
vowel not a consonant.
In some modern varieties (e.g. Hueyapan, Morelos) ix- must be thought of as
a bodypart prefix because there is no noun i:x-tli (eye is i:xteloloh) and
the particle is used with a wide range of meanings in compounds rangeing
from eye, face, surface.
The xo is also a prefix in nahuatl often meaning "down/under, feet, lower
legs" semantically related to the bodypart noun ikxi.

xo-con-co could be "in the foot pot" (this makes me think of a picture of a
cannibalism scene from some codex (I think florentine) with legs sticking up
from a big ceramic pot on the fire)

Molina has entries for a transitive verb "ixnauatia" which means "condenar o
despedir a otro, proponer firmamente alguna cosa, reprochar alguno". It is
composed of the verb nahuatia "to order" and the i:x- prefix. Nahuatia in
turn is probably related somehow to nahualli in a way that is not completely
obvious.

Magnus