Ixnahualtongo - Xocongo

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Jun 25 15:19:34 UTC 2009

Magnus, regarding your statement "Molina has entries for a transitive verb
'ixnauatia' which means 'condenar o despedir a otro, proponer firmamente
alguna cosa, reprochar alguno'. It is composed of the verb nahuatia 'to
order' and the i:x- prefix", I have a question. How does the lack of i:xtli
in modern Hueyapan Nahuatl make i:x- a prefix in Molina, when the noun
i:xtli is registered in this source? Please excuse my insistence on this
point. I don't have an axe to grind, but I do have a list of early colonial
Nahuatl affixes I made for my students, and if I happen across a new prefix
I'll have to add it to this list.