i:x-

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 26 01:34:39 UTC 2009

Quoting David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>:

> Thanks for that Magnus, I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Other
> relevant examples in early colonial central Mexican Nahuatl are the
> compounds with xo- ("foot"); in this case there aren't cases of this
> morpheme standing alone, with an absolutive suffix (xotl), as far as I can
> see.

Quema. Tlaxtlahui, Magnus.

Not that everyone may agree. But it's an interesting discussion and I
appreciate hearing what you have to say. I wonder if most linguists
would consider something like /i:x-/ affixal in nature as affixes are
defined.

In my case, my memory tends to learn "stems," in this case,  /i:x-/.
So, /i:xtli/ then feels like a derivation. :-)

So, to call /i:x-/ a "prefix" in these many composite terms we see in
Nahuatl is not that big a leap.