Launey

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Mar 13 18:32:53 UTC 2009

Howdy again, Michael!

You sent me back to the Nahuat-l archives, somewhat puzzled, to see what I had been replying to. I found this:

“[…] For example, Michel Launey’s 1986, French thèse d´état is the most comprehensive and philologically-grounded examination of classical Nahuatl grammar I have found to date. It is accessible: Jonathan Amith put a PDF of the original online and the CNRS published an abridged version in 1994. Yet, it seems that the 1609 pages of this thèse are practically invisible to American academics. Not only is this work not cited in the bibliographic guides for those learning Nahuatl (Lockhart, 2001: 148-151, Wright Carr, 2007: 42-45, etc.), but rarely does it appear cited in more specialized studies. While the further might be understandable, that latter is not. Launey’s work is contemporary with Andrews, who, on the other hand, is widely cited in American publications. And while both simultaneously “rediscovered” Carochi, it is now solely Andrews who gets the credit for this. […]”

So by “this work” you were referring specifically to the 1986 thesis, which indeed was not cited in Lockhart, 2001, nor in Wright, 2007; both publications only cite vol. 1 of Launey’s *Introduction à la langue et à la littérature aztèques* (1979) and the 1992 Spanish translation of the same work. What mislead me was the second to the last sentence, where it says that “Launey’s work is contemporary with Andrews.” That threw me back to the decade of 1971-1980 (since the first edition of J. Richard Andrew’s *Introduction to Classical Nahuatl* was published in 1975), and set my head in the general space of Launey’s work. Your post is clear enough; my quick reading of it was responsible for the confusion.

As for Andrews, rather than Launey, getting the credit for “rediscovering” Carochi, it’s worth pointing out that Andrews’s *Introduction…* (1975) appeared four years before Launey’s *Introduction…* (1979), and that Launey’s earliest article in the list you provide is from 1977. So the “rediscovery” was not quite “simultaneous,” at least as far as the published results seem to indicate.

I’m grateful to you for conceding that the omission of Launey’s thesis of 1986 “might be understandable” “in the bibliographical guides for those learning Nahuatl;” thanks to these phrases I don’t feel quite so inexhaustive. Because of the word “might,” however, just to be safe, I’ve added a mention of the 1986 thesis to a manuscript for an eventual second edition of my book. Some of my undergraduate history students at the University of Guanajuato do read French and could benefit from this more advanced treatment of Nahuatl grammar, and surely there will be other potential readers in the same situation.

Thanks for the list of Launey’s publications and the link to his thesis, by the way. These are very useful, as is Jonathan Amith’s post with links to reproductions of Launey’s studies on his own web site. Providing such material is a positive contribution which will enrich the general level of scholarship of the community that gathers on this list.

Peace,

David