photos of archives?

Stephanie Wood swood at uoregon.edu
Sat Mar 21 19:16:58 UTC 2009

Hello colleagues,

Sorry for any duplicaiton.  I am writing to ask whether anyone might be willing to loan interior photographs they have of any Mesoamerican archives for a documentary we at the University of Oregon are making about manuscript rescue -- especially of Spanish colonial-period documents, and especially of documents that help us reconstruct the histories of indigenous communities under colonial rule.

We will gladly give you credit if your photos are chosen for the film.  The higher the resolution, the better, but we will be delighted to consider whatever photos you have.  And please let us know if and how we might contact archivists if permissions would be necessary.  If you can supply any metadata -- place, date (even roughly), etc. -- that would be very helpful.  If you have any stories that we might quote about worrisome or improving archive conditions, these would be welcome, too.  I can only receive messages under 10 megabytes, so some images (if digital) may have to be sent one by one, depending upon their size.  If you wish to mail prints through the standard mail, please see the address below.  Please indicate in your message exactly how you would like to be cited (full name, title?, institution affiliation, if any?).

Just so you know, we do not wish to paint an overly negative view, and we will be showing improvements that have been made in manuscript preservation. So, shots of humidity threats, insects, rodents, bundling methods, fire, etc., would be useful, as well as recent organizing and preservation efforts.

Many thanks for considering this!

Stephanie Wood
Wired Humanities Project / CSWS
1201 University of Oregon