question re: Spanish/Nahuatl interaction

Sharon Peters theabroma at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:33:55 UTC 2009

All, a question ...

I am in the midst of a research project on so-called "Spanglish," especially
as spoken here in Texas and the rest of the Southwest and California ...
and, to some extent along both sides of the Frontera.

What a lot of authors are writing about are the lexical borrowings and
hispanicized English words or Spanish borrowrings, and they are not
addressing the code-switching aspect where entire phrases are mixed
together, usually around coordinating conjunctions, subordinations, etc.

I am certainly aware of the Nahuatl words borrowed into Spanish, but I am
unaware/ignorant of any examples of a "third leg" to the Mexican linguistic
stool, as one might say we have here in the States:  Spanish - Spanglish -
English.  Was there ever/is there a Nahuatl - Nahuatlish - Spanish analogy?
Or did the two languages keep largely separate and mostly just share words?

Spanglish has quite a life of its own ... I am wanting to know whether there
is any internal Mexican analogy.  For that matter, with any of the Mayan or
other indigenous languages.

Thanks, and warmest regards,

Sharon Peters

--
Sín Fronteras

Aquí estoy yo .... pero ya anda por México mi corazón