question on Spanish/Nahuatl "language"

Jesse Lovegren lovegren at buffalo.edu
Tue May 5 16:25:21 UTC 2009

Hi Sharon
  If you haven't already done this, you might be interested in reading in
Pidgin & Creole linguistics and in language contact.  English and
French-based creoles sprung up frequently through colonial-era contact, but
Spanish-based creoles are rare.  In the case of Spanish, the situation is
more like a koiné, where proficient bilinguals are the ones initially
introducing changes, and the new variety is formed gradually.  As for
Nahuatl/Spanish, I am not familiar with literature on present-day contact
between these two, but you will find a discussion of how Nahuatl changed
under influence from Spanish in Lockhart's "The Nahuas after Conquest"

Best,

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Sharon Peters <theabroma at gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Yes.  My apologies if I posed the request for info in a way that was
> confusing.
>
> Though I have never heard - or heard of - such a "language," I thought
> perhaps the members of this list might be able to give me a quick direction
> in which I might look for an answer.
>
> Question:  is there/was there ever a Nahuatl-Spanish "language" analogous
> to what is now called "Spanglish"?  Involving code-switching of phrases
> primarily, and using the appropriate grammar for either Spanish or Nahuatl,
> where applicable.  There would also be word borrowings, which would be
> colored morphologically or phonologically by the language into which they
> were borrowed ... but I am not solely referring to this latter phenomenon.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sharon Peters
>
> --
> Sín Fronteras
>
> Aquí estoy yo .... pero ya anda por México mi corazón

Jesse Lovegren
Department of Linguistics
645 Baldy Hall
office +1 716 645 0136