"Patr�n Nahuatl"

Frances Karttunen karttu at comcast.net
Tue May 5 19:12:09 UTC 2009

I can't come up with the reference right at the moment, but I have
read someone's published speculations about an inter-lingua with a
narrow Nahuatl lexicon but without the morphological machinery of
Nahuatl--used by overseers and Nahuatl-speaking workers on the sugar
plantations of the Morelos Valley in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th
centuries. The overseers thought that it was Nahuatl, while the
native speakers took care that the overseers didn't have the
opportunity to learn fully inflected Nahuatl.

The place to look would be in reference books about pidgins/jargons
(such as Chinook Jargon, Anglo-Romany, etc.).  Or else among the
Roberto Barlow papers. I will search around and see if I can offer a
real reference.

Fran Karttunen