Ambiguity

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Fri May 8 02:36:53 UTC 2009

Joe,
I've always wondered about the basis for positing two separate
morphologies for the "-ltia" causatives in the first place.
Is it possible that there is really only one "-ltia" formation? In other
words, is it possible that even the form that has been identified as
using the causative suffix "-ltia" is actually the construction
involving the patientive noun form with the verbalizer "-ti-" and the
causative "-a"?
I assume that one of the reasons for positing the two different forms is
that in many cases the ostensibly patientive noun is not attested in
other contexts. But even if many of these ostensibly patientive nouns
are not attested outside of the verbal causative form, couldn't the
formation of an otherwise unattested patientive noun be motivated by the
"noun + ti-a" structure, in which the 'noun' is often an attested
patientive form?
Another possible problem with this suggestion might be that patientive
nouns built from transitive verbs, if I understand correctly, do not
take specific object prefixes. So one might argue that you would not
expect patientive nouns to have the specific object prefixes that occur
in the causative form. However, it seems to me that in the context of a
verbalized patientive noun, there would be no reason not to
reincorporate specific object prefixes. The restriction against specific
object prefixes for patientive nouns is strictly pragmatic. The
pragmatics of the patientive and resultant-state forms do not allow for
a specific object, because it wouldn't make sense. But in the verbalized
causative form, the pragmatics are different. In this case, it can make
perfect sense to have either specific or non-specific object prefixes.
A third possible problem might have to do with semantics. However, I
would think that there ought to be a way conceptually to make the
semantics of this form work with any patientive noun form.
Of course, I'm sure that there may be problems that I am not seeing
here. Are there maybe instances of "-ltia" causatives whose form somehow
precludes a homology with the "patientive noun+ti-a" structure? If not,
then couldn't we explain them all using one morphology instead of two?
Galen