Ambiguity

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Tue May 12 16:11:06 UTC 2009

Joe,
I have to admit that I may not be understanding all of your explanation,
but let me ask a few follow-up questions.
Although I've read Andrews explanation of this, I did not understand how
he arrived at his conclusions. In fact, I think I started thinking about
this issue in these terms after reading Andrews' description of
causatives. I guess my question has to do with how to determine the
nature of the morphology in this case. Or is that even possible? Maybe
Andrews has an argument to support his assertions, but I don't remember
him presenting it; and it was not immediately obvious from his description.
With regard to the Andrews description, many of his examples could be
interpreted differently. For example, with cualantia, he says that this
is built on "cualano" rather than "cualantli." But it is unclear to me
why this is necessarily the case. In pragamatic terms, I'm not sure it
makes any difference. But I'm interested in whether or not there is some
systemic reason for interpreting it this way.
His example of "tlanextia" is also ambiguous. Molina gives "tlanextli"
as light. This term raises its own questions for me with regard to why
there is an object pronoun. But in any case, if we have a noun
"tlanextli," I'm not sure why we have to posit the causative form
"tlanextia" as being built on "nexohua."
It seems to me that in the section dealing with this causative form (at
least the section that I just reconsulted), all of Andrews' examples
with the exception of one can be interpreted as being built on a noun
rather than the non-active form. The exception would seem to be
"choctia" and maybe there are other examples of similar words. This may
be what led him to this explanation, because as far as I know "choctli"
is not attested as a nominalized form of "to cry." But if the vast
majority of these causatives can be interpreted as nominalized forms
which are then verbalized using the "-ti-a" ending, then it seems to me
that you could just as well say that words like "choctia" are the result
of making a formal generalization that produces causative forms like
"choctia" built on unattested nominalizations, in this case "choctli."
Andrews does say that this type of generalization occurs with the
non-active form itself, but he doesn't assume the same for noun forms in
this context.
With regard to the examples you list below, I assume that the three dots
indicate examples of unattested noun forms which would be problematic.
And I think I understand that part of the problem has to do with the
causative forms in these cases do not have an 'l' as in the case of
axhitia and cochitia. However, in the case of "caqui," we have
attestations of both "caquitia" and "caquiltia." So even if there is
something else going on with "caquitia," couldn't we posit an unattested
noun "caquilli" used to construct the causative "caquiltia"? I don't
think there are attestations of "chochiltia," so either something else
is going on with "cochitia" as with "caquitia," or this form has a
tendency to drop the 'l' in some causatives. Maybe that is a stretch?
In reference to the examples you list, I'm not sure, but maybe this is
where my confusing paragraph about object pronouns is relevant (or maybe
not). I'm not sure why these cases are unambiguous unless it is because
they have specific object prefixes where patientive nouns would have
non-specific ones? Or maybe in the first case, which does have a
non-specific object, because there is a reduplication? I guess what I
was trying to say is that when a patientive noun becomes verbalized
again, it seems to me that there is no reason why the non-specific
object pronoun of the patientive form would need to remain non-specific.
In other words, the object would be once again free to be specific. So
in example #2,  "quincualtia," you have an underlying "qui" that is
covered up by the indirect object pronoun "quin." The patientive noun
would have been "tlacualli", but in the causative form, the "tla" turns
into "qui" because it is referring now to something specific. And if
this works, then the nonspecific indirect object pronoun would be free
to appear between the specific object pronoun and the verb as in example
#3, "quitecualtia." What I am suggesting is that maybe the non-specific
object pronoun of the patientive noun does not have to be fossilized in
the causative form. Maybe the pronoun position is reactivated to
function the same way it did in the original active form.
I'm not sure I understand the issue with "netetetlaquehualtia." Molina
does actually list the patientive form "tlaquehualli" without the
non-specific object pronoun "tla." Although wouldn't one also expect
"tetlaquehualli"? But in any case, even if my argument about the
reactivation of the object pronoun position in the causative form is not
right, we still have a nonspecific object pronoun in this form.
Actually, I'm not sure why they would need the causative form in this
case anyway. If they wanted to say "I hire out people to people, why
wouldn't they just say "nitetetlaquehua"? If the form
"nitetetlaquehualtia" is merely a causative not derived from a
patientive, wouldn't the causative have to be operating on the reflexive
form of this verb? I'm not sure how you would work in the reflexive
pronoun, but wouldn't the causative form have to mean something like "I
cause people to hire themselves out to people"? So given that there is
no reflexive object pronoun in this word, wouldn't we have to interpret
this as a "ti-a" causative built on a patientive noun "tetlaquehualli"?
Then it would just be, "I provide someone with the hiring out of
people." This would avoid the problem of having to incorporate the
reflexive within the causative.

Galen