Tloc, nahuac, tech, tlan

Susana Moraleda susana at losrancheros.org
Tue Nov 10 19:50:11 UTC 2009

I'm a bit confused on the uses of TLOC, NAHUAC, TECH and TLAN since they all have similar meanings.  I've consulted Garibay, Sullivan and Horcasitas, but the differences are not clear.

  a.. TLOC and NAHUAC are synonyms and mean "junto a", "cerca de".
  b.. TECH means "en", "pegado o adherente a", "referente a".
  c.. (TI)TLAN means "en", "entre", "con", "junto a", "cerca de". And besides, Garibay says "sobre", while Sullivan says "debajo"!!!
Are there any rules saying when to use which?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Susana