Tloc, nahuac, tech, tlan

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 10 23:18:02 UTC 2009

Quoting David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>:

> Susana:
>

> As far as I can see, in early colonial central Mexican Nahuatl -tloc,
> -na:huac, -tech (preceded by the ligature -ti- when the noun it follows ends
> in a consonant), and -tlan (preceded by the ligature -ti- in place names)
> are postpositions; -tla:n (never with -ti-) is a locative suffix.

tla:n is usually seen place names. It's not that common otherwise.

> Postpositions are like English prepositions in that they express relations
> (spatial, temporal, and other sorts), and have been labeled as such because
> of their similar function, and the fact that they are added to the end of
> nouns. Postpositions can also be added to possessive prefixes; the existence
> of examples where the latter happens is what distinguishes postpositions
> from locative or other sorts of suffixes. This is why -tla:n is usually
> labeled as a locative suffix: it’s not found stuck to a possessive prefix.
> To label a morpheme a “locative suffix” is a risky proposition, since if an
> example can be provided of it being attached to a possessive prefix, then we
> would be forced to move it to the category of postpositions.
>

> Colonial grammarians (Andrés de Olmos, Alonso Molina, Horacio Carochi, and
> others) called postpositions “preposiciones” in spite of their place and the
> end of words. The earliest use of the term “postposition” (or its cognates
> in French or Spanish) that I’ve seen is in the grammatical sketch by Siméon,
> published in 1885. Others have followed this practice, including Ángel María
> Garibay, Thelma Sullivan, Joe Campbell, and Frances Karttunen. Richard
> Andrews preferred to call them “relational suffixes” in 1975 and now prefers
> the phrase “relational NNC” (NNC = “nominal nuclear clause”). Lockhart calls
> them “relational words.”

It's a convenience to refer to such entities as "postpositions".
However, Andrews demonstrates that such a view is, as it puts it,
"ethnocentric (or 'linguicentric')".

This is of course one of Andrews' fortes, explaining Nahuatl from
within rather from without (i.e., from a European language point of
view. English grammar has suffered a somewhat similar fate in having
been analyzed in the past through the lens of Latin grammar.)

As Andrews explains, what we like to term "postpositions" for
convenience sake are in truth noun stems "used to form adverbialized
NNCs." This is not to say that we can't continue to call them
"postpositions," but they are truly not postpositions.

Michael