Tloc, nahuac, tech, tlan

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Nov 11 00:26:16 UTC 2009

Quoting David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>:

> Estimado Michael:

Good to hear from you, David.

> Thanks for expanding on my minimal quote from Andrews. I agree with you
> about Andrews' approach but I hesitate to use it with my students, who are
> undergrad history students with little linguistic training beyond high
> school grammar. I use postposition ("posposición") because I think (or hope)
> they will catch the basic idea without getting a mental hernia, relating
> these morphemes to what are called "preposiciones" in their mother tongue,
> since both sets have a similar semantic function, while the pre-/post-
> contrast emphasizes their usual place within words.

I understand what you're saying. Of course, I simply wanted to make
sure that our listeros understand the actual syntactical situation for
Nahuatl, for these "postpositions" are identified as such in quite
respectable, modern books. This is fine, as you suggest, when it comes
to teaching beginners. But for the many of the folks on this list who
have advanced knowledge of the language, I think we need to use
"postpositions" with a wink and a nod.

> I was just checking to see what Michel Launey calls these morphemes, since I
> had excluded him from the list terms used by prominent grammarians through
> the centuries. On page 226 of his Introduction à la langue et à la
> littérature aztèques (1979), he calls them "suffixes locatifs" and adds that
> "sont en réalité une sorte de noms un peu particuliers, qui peuvent se
> mettre à la forme possédée, et qui, suffixés à des radicaux nominaux,
> forment des noms composés [...]." I haven't checked his thesis of 1986 yet
> to see if he maintained that terminology.

It's difficult to know how far Launay saw into the language, in this
particular regard, when he wrote his thesis or book. This is one reason
I like to read Andrews, as he has been able to see deeply into the
language. If one continues to chew on what Andrews says, one will come
to realize that he's generally right in his analyses. His explication
of "postpositions" is impressive.

I wonder if his book is readable on the web.

> Saludos,

si, a cambio.

Michael