Tloc, nahuac, tech, tlan

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Nov 12 23:18:25 UTC 2009

Jotzin,

Thank you for putting this first "draught" together. This will nicely
lay the foundation for a good look at these creatures.

What struck me in about my first couple weeks of studying Nahuatl was
the "nounal" ;-) character of "postpositions," particularly the way
they could be possessed as well enter into composite terms as the head.
I felt, "We aren't in Kansas anymore." As examples, here are just a few
things that occurred to me as I write this message:

tehuan
ihuan
nicnehuanilpia
nohuampoh
teihtic
teixco
tehuic
teca
teicpac
tlapanco

tloqueh
tlancuaitl

even:

ayic

etc...

Tambien:

Y mis listeros, aqui esta lo que me escribi Martin Mangei esta manana.
Muy interesante.

"To be honest, I think that Andrews' analysis of the relational
nouns/prepositions/postpositions reveals rather one of his major
shortcomings: the confusing and consequent intermixture and confusion
of historical and synchronical facts. Yes, these words have emerged
from nouns (as many prepositions do), yes they can be inflected in a
way very similar to nouns (as prepositions can), and yes they seem to
have emerged from some kind of adverbal use of nouns (as preposition
often do).

BUT: "preposition" doesn't name a historical development, it's rather a
morphosyntactic term. Deciding whether a class of words can or should
be termed "preposition", nothing but their morphological, perhaps their
meaning/function and primarily their syntactic behaviour should be
considered - which is quite simply preposition-like :)

But there is another intresting question with regard to these words.
Some of them can have relatively similar meanings. Do you know whether
it is possible to tell whether such Rel.Nouns differ with regard to the
nouns they 'govern'? Such that we could state rules like e.g.: "The
suffix -c(o) expresses locative meaning with nouns like A, B, C etc.,
whereas the same meaning is expressed by means of the (quasi synonym)
Rel.Noun -pan with nouns as D, E, F. etc"

mmangei at gmx.de

Michael