Tloc, nahuac, tech, tlan

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Nov 13 01:52:59 UTC 2009

Thanks, Michael. I see Molina (1571: II, 42r) gives "Ipeuhcan en el
comienzo, o en el principio, o al principio". That looks like i:peuhca:n
/i:pewka:n/ (i: + (pewa - a) + ka:n), 3rd person singular possessive prefix
+ verb: begin + postposition (?) where/in/in the time of/place of/by. So I
guess I can call ca:n a postposition, based on the criteria of it appearing
with a possessive prefix (and a verb!), although the example is not as clear
as if we had a direct coupling of the prefix with ca:n. It is what it is, of
course; the problem is fitting it into a somewhat arbitrary (but useful)
classification scheme.